If you were the victim of a pedestrian accident, call the Luke Dow Law Firm. Mr. Dow can evaluate your case to determine if you have valid grounds for a lawsuit against the at-fault driver.
Luke Dow is an Austin personal-injury attorney who is Board Certified by the Texas Board of Legal Specialization. To schedule a consultation, call our office today at 512-518-4104.
In the meantime, read on to learn more about pedestrian accident prevention:
How Common Are Pedestrian Accidents In The United States?According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, pedestrians are people who travel by foot, in a wheelchair, stroller, or in a similar device, along the road. Every day, approximately 500 pedestrians sustain injuries in accidents with vehicles. In fact, every two hours, a pedestrian dies from crash injuries.
It is clear that this is a nationwide problem. All pedestrians are at risk, but according to the CDC, some people are more at risk than others. Research suggests that men are more likely to die or suffer injuries in a pedestrian accident, and teens and young adults are the most common victims.
Children are also at a high risk of injury or death in a pedestrian accident due to their small size, and their inability to assess traffic conditions, vehicle speeds and distance. As such, almost one-quarter of child traffic deaths are due to pedestrian accidents.
How To Stay Safe As A PedestrianThe Highway Safety Research Center provides eight safety tips for pedestrians:
- Act in a predictable manner, and stay off freeways and busy roadways.
- Use sidewalks where possible.
- Only cross streets where it is safe and legal to do so.
- If no sidewalk is available, HSRC recommends that you walk facing traffic.
- Wear visible clothing, and make sure drivers can see you.
- Do not assume that drivers are attentive and can see you.
- Make eye contact with drivers where possible to emphasize your intentions.
- Do not walk along roads or on sidewalks if you are drunk or under the influence of drugs.
If you have questions about an accident claim, contact the Luke Dow Law Firm at 512-518-4104. Austin personal-injury lawyer Luke Dow can handle the legalities of your accident so you can focus on physical recovery.