Luke Dow Law Firm

Injured in a Car Accident? Austin Personal-Injury Lawyer Discusses 3 Reports You Must File

By Luke Dow on January 07, 2016

The aftermath of a car accident is rife with nervous tension. If you were injured, then the administrative processes are probably the last thoughts on your mind; however, there are certain steps you must take to protect your personal and financial interests.

Car accident

In Texas, accident victims must file three reports to comply with legal and insurance processes. Not doing so could compromise your ability to recover compensation, which can lead to overwhelming debt and even bankruptcy.

If you were injured due to another driver’s negligence in Texas, then contact the Luke Dow Law Firm. Mr. Dow is an Austin personal-injury lawyer who understands how to find success in court. He can help you avoid mistakes when filing the necessary reports, talking with insurance companies and handling settlement negotiations. Call 512-518-4104 to schedule a consultation with an accident attorney in Texas.

Read on to learn three reports that you must file after a car accident in Texas:

  1. A Police Report
Officers attend most accident scenes. In fact, any crash that causes extensive property damage, injury or death requires a police officer’s presence.

Call the police immediately after the accident so they can create a police report. You will need a copy of this for your claim.

The AAA reminds readers to be honest with police officers at all times. Keep opinions out of your answers and only state what you know to be fact.

You are under no obligation to discuss fault, and you should avoid mentioning it. Anxiety is rife at accident scenes, and many people make the mistake of inadvertently implicating themselves. If you imply guilt and the officer includes it in the report, then it may be difficult to recover compensation.

Before parting ways with the officer at the scene, record his or her badge number and make a note of which police department he or she comes from. Find out when the police report will be available because you will need to collect a copy for your records.

  1. An Insurance Company Report
It is crucial that you alert your insurance provider as soon after the accident as possible. This is particularly important if you sustain injuries or seriously damage your vehicle.

The insurance company will need to conduct its own investigation into the accident, and even if your intention is to claim from the at-fault driver and his or her insurance company, your provider still needs to create a report.

  1. A CR-2 Form
According to the Texas Department of Transportation, any accident that causes property damage in excess of $1,000, death or injury requires an official report from the department. Specifically, you need to complete a CR-2 form, which you can download from the DOT website. Law enforcement officers sometimes complete these forms on behalf of accident victims, so check with the attending officer first.

Unfortunately, car accident victims must deal with administrative procedures to recover compensation for their losses. At the Luke Dow Law Firm, we can handle the legal side of your accident so you can focus on recovery. To schedule a consultation with an Austin injury attorney, call 512-518-4104.



Related to This

Get In Touch

Rate, Review & Explore

Social Accounts Sprite

Austin Office

2301 S Capital of Texas Hwy
Ste J-101
Austin, TX 78746

Open Today 9:00am - 5:00pm

More Info Directions (512) 480-9502