Think of the safest place you know. Got it? You probably thought about your home.
It is a place where you are surrounded by comforts, a quick meal, and entertainment. However, millions of defective appliances are recalled every year because they caused house fires. According to Consumer Reports, slipping safety standards at factories may be behind this frightening phenomenon.
Here are the most commonly defective items in homes:
- Adaptors and chargers;
- Lighting products;
- And hair dryers.
Call 512-518-4104 to schedule a consultation. Read on to learn more about the most dangerous appliances in your home.
- Adapters and Chargers
It gets worse: In some rare cases, chargers have caused the devices they were connected with to explode.
The resulting injuries are severe, and medical bills can quickly add up. Avoid the risks by only buying adapters and chargers from a reputable source. Cheap knockoffs are much more likely to catch alight because the manufacturers are not held to the same high safety standards as the big brands.
- Lighting Products
A spike of electrical current could cause the light, lamp, or bulb to fail and emit smoke or cause a minor explosion. More than 25 different lighting products were recalled between 2010 and 2014.
One piece of botched wiring can wreak havoc in your home, starting a fire while you and your family are bundled up in bed. There have been numerous deaths linked to house fires started by a defective fridge, freezer or combination unit.
- Hair Dryer
Unplug your hair dryer when you are not using it. Or better yet, avoid cheaper models because the manufacturers may have skimped on the quality of the internal components.
Did a defective product cause a fire in your home in Texas? Contact the Luke Dow Law Firm.
Mr. Dow is an Austin injury lawyer who can evaluate your case and help you pursue a fair settlement. Call 512-518-4104 to schedule a consultation.