Injuries suffered from motorcycle accidents can be life changing and even fatal. When the weather plays a role in the accident, the results can be catastrophic.
When bad weather causes an auto accident, seeking compensation becomes complicated. At the Luke Dow Law Firm in Austin, TX, we help victims seek damages for injuries caused in weather-related motorcycle accidents.
How Weather Plays a Role in Motorcycle Accidents
Even though the warmer weather in Austin gives way to perfect riding conditions for a good part of the year, there are some weather related risks to be aware of when enjoying a motorcycle ride.
Some of these risks include:
- Rain and wind: When a thunderstorm occurs, it is often accompanied by high winds. These winds can create a slippery and hazardous driving roadway and reduce visibility to nearly zero. Driving a motorcycle in these conditions can cause a biker to lose control and skid along the street, overturning a bike and causing serious road rash and head or neck trauma.
- Extreme heat: It may seem like extreme heat does not pose any danger to the safe operation of a motorcycle. But when temperatures soar, a driver can suffer heatstroke or experience blurred vision. Bikers typically wear a lot of heavy clothing to protect from the elements while riding, and high temperatures can cause a biker to overheat.
- Fog: While it is rare to see much fog in the Austin area, it can happen at certain times of the day. For a biker, fog reduces visibility and can contribute to a motorcycle accident.
When a rider is hurt in an accident, the usual course of action is to look to the negligent party for reimbursement. But when the weather is the cause of the accident, it becomes more difficult to seek legal redress against another.
The exact circumstances of the accident will play a factor, as well as the existence of any manufacturing defects or whether another driver was involved. The type of insurance may also be an important consideration. An experienced personal injury lawyer can help.
Tips to Help Avoid Weather-related Motorcycle Accidents
Thinking about the weather before taking a motorcycle ride is the first step in preventing an accident. When a rider is aware of the weather conditions, he or she is better prepared and can avoid injuries by:
- Paying attention to wind gusts and light showers, because these might indicate a larger storm is coming.
- Wear the proper clothing and safety gear to protect the skin and head from harsh riding conditions.
- Maintain the cycle properly by keeping up with recommended maintenance and performing a check of blinkers and other safety features before heading out for a ride.
Even when taking these precautions, an accident can happen. If it does, seek medical care right away so the injuries do not become worse. It is also a good idea to contact a knowledgeable attorney and schedule a time to talk about the accident.
Who to Call for Help
If you or a loved one has been in a motorcycle accident, call us for help. Contact us online or call our office at (512) 480-9502.